Make this the night before and wake up to the wonderful aroma of this nutritious, delicious, ready-to-eat breakfast. The oats, flax seed, apples, and cinnamon make this a healthy power house that will help you beat the hungries all morning.
2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
1-1/2 cups milk (or substitute non-diary alternative like almond milk)
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar (or substitute maple syrup or other desired sweetener)
1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
1. Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker.
3. Stir, cover, and cook on low for approx. 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary).
4. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired.
5. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.
To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.
Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.