Author: Julia Levy
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon zest plus 3 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 large lemon)
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup uncooked orzo
8 oz fresh asparagus, trimmed and diagonally sliced into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
4 oz fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 1 cup)
1 cup fresh or frozen English peas (thawed if frozen
12 oz. medium peeled, deveined raw shrimp
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
1. Whisk together oil, zest juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Prepare orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Transfer orzo to a bowl, and cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
3. While orzo cooks, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high. Add asparagus and sugar snap peas to boiling water. Cook until bright green and tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add English peas, and stir until softened, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon transfer vegetables to an ice bath. reserving boiling water in saucepan.
4. Add shrimp to boiling water. Cook until opaque about 3 minutes, and then drain. Transfer shrimp to ice bath with vegetables. Let stand until chilled, about 3 minutes; drain.
5. Toss together shrimp-vegetable mixture with orzo; drizzle with dressing. Add chives, parsley, and tarragon and toss to combine.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.