Low-Carb Mushroom and Feta Breakfast Casserole
Yield: 6-8 servings
Total Time: 50-55 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
1 T milk, half and half, or cream (Probably optional, but I usually use it if I have some in the house.)
1 pound or more mushrooms, washed and sliced (Use more mushrooms if the budget can handle it, see notes.)
2 tsp. olive oil (or more, depending on your pan)
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
1/3 cup sliced green onions (optional, but good)
1 tsp. Spike Seasoning, or use any all-purpose seasoning blend that’s good on eggs
fresh ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray 8.5 X 12 inch glass casserole dish with nonstick spray.
1. Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices or half slices.
2. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the mushrooms until they release their liquid and get slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Layer the mushrooms, Feta, and green onions (if using) into the casserole dish.
4. Beat eggs with milk until the yolks and whites are completely combined, pour over mushroom-Feta-onion mixture, then stir gently with a fork so that mushrooms, cheese, and onions are evenly distributed in the egg mixture.
5. Season with pike Seasoning or other seasoning of your choice and fresh-ground black pepper. (I don’t add salt because Spike Seasoning and Feta both have it.)
6. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until eggs are completely set and the top is starting to brown.
Serve hot.This will keep for at least a week in the fridge and can be reheated in a microwave or in a covered pan on the stove.
I like brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, but any mushrooms will work.
This recipe created by Kalyn and made many, many times through the years.