Updated: Feb 25, 2019
February is the month we celebrate love, and that includes loving ourselves. I believe
many women find it difficult to love themselves or give themselves permission for self care;
we’re so busy taking care of everyone else, we end up putting our needs last.
Perhaps we feel it’s selfish to address our needs or feel we just don’t have enough time…
I think we have it backwards here — we must take care of ourselves first so we can care
for others better.
When was the last time you did something for just you without guilt? When did you
schedule time in your day to breathe? For some of you moms, you’d probably just like a
little privacy in the bathroom… I remember those days! My guess is you can’t remember
because it’s been so long. But here’s the deal, self-care is essential to good health; it’s
just as important, if not more, than what we eat. So, what are we going to do to give
ourselves some love? Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Schedule time each day for you…literally make an appointment for yourself.
2. Forgive yourself. You don’t have to be superwoman every minute.
3. Take a walk, an exercise class, yoga…find what you enjoy and do it!
4. Enjoy a nice hot bath, uninterrupted.
5. Get a massage or facial.
6. Spend time with supportive friends.
7. Read a good book…you may only get through a couple of pages, but at least start.
8. Meditate. Breathe. Take long cleansing breaths throughout the day.
9. Journaling. (I recently started this, and it is good for the soul😊 )
10. Buy a new outfit that makes you feel good.
These are just a few ideas, and I’m sure you can add to the list. We all have different
needs, but one essential need for all of us is we need to take care of ourselves. When
you become familiar with your needs and honor them, your energy is boundless, and your
potential is limitless. Then you can care for and love others well.